Write It Down, Make It Happen 2014 Edition


While 2013 wasn’t the worst year ever, it certainly was not my favorite.  I felt out of sorts and adrift for most of it. I also feel like I didn’t really accomplish anything of note.  As one of my wise friends pointed out, some years are about planting the seeds to be harvested later.  It’s better to contemplate what you want to do than jump into doing something you don’t want to do.

A new moon falls on the first day of 2014 which is auspicious timing for setting our intentions for the coming year and the goals we want to accomplish.  I have a good feeling about 2014 and my Aries mojo is back and itching to make things happen.

Many long time readers will remember that I prefer to the focus on the positive things that I want to manifest in the New Year instead of the negative habits I wish to break.  The book Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It is my inspiration.  What’s interesting is that when I went back to see what I wrote last year, I realized I didn’t make a list or write a post for 2013.  Maybe that was part of the problem of why I didn’t feel like I reached any goals in 2013! 

  1. I will live in Paris in 2014.  My goal is to rent an apartment for at least three months this summer. What a better way to work on my French and finally see all the museums I’ve been missing. You can only live in France for three months without a Visa so I might apply for one just in case. My passport expires this November so I guess I should get the renewed as soon as possible too. If any of you have any apartment rental recommendations or helpful hints, please let me know. I’ve lived in New York for 12 years and I think it’s time for a change of scenery to shake things up.
  2. I will travel more in 2014. I’m starting this off next week with a trip and a possible press trip soon. But my first goal for the year is one that will really help many of my other goals.  It would be so much easier to use Paris as a hub to travel via the Euro Star and Easy Jet and cross more countries off my must visit list. As I wrote in 2012, I’d love to turn some of these trips into to travel articles and photo essays as well.
  3. I will start my second book in 2014. I’m really thankful that so many of you bought my first book and have been asking for a second and I think I’m  finally ready to make this happen.  I can’t give anything away but living in Paris would definitely help with this goal.
  4. I will blog better in 2014.  As I mentioned, I feel like I lost my mojo in 2013.  It’s been frustrating to see some  sites not just use all my old photos but copy the format and verbiage of my posts. I vow to blog better in 2014 to bring you new subjects and stories and more original photography, in addition to the compilation posts you love so much.  I also want to bring back the fun I used to have blogging.
  5. I will be showered and dressed earlier in 2014. I usually get up and get straight on the computer each day.  That means that sometimes I’m still in my pajamas when the UPS man arrives or just out of the shower in my robe and wet hair at noon.  Part of what I love best about working for myself is that I don’t have to be on a set daily schedule but maybe this is one thing I do need to put on a schedule. I'm sure the UPS man would appreciate it too! 
  6. I will get better at returning emails in 2014. This has been on the list before and it’s here again.  I spend so much of my day unsubscribing and filtering unwanted emails to delete that I sometimes don’t deal with the important emails.  I need to work smarter and prioritize my inbox in 2014.  Please note that if you sign me up for an unwanted newsletter, you will automatically be banned from the blog.
  7. I will subscribe to the less is more approach in 2014. Although it sounds like it on twitter, I really don’t shop that much. Since the same people don’t see me everyday, I can get by with less clothing of better quality. But my closet is still stuffed with unworn clothing that I plan to clean out once and for all.  I’d rather spend my on experiences and travel this year than material possessions.
  8. I will finally start driving again in 2014. I have a license and have driven but not in a really, really long time.  Driving at all in New York City is a bit intimidating so I’m going to find a place outside the city to practice again.  But maybe first I should study the driving manual.
  9. I will workout more and eat even healthier in 2014. For the most part, I eat pretty healthy.  I don’t eat any processed food but I do drink Diet Coke and eat sugar. I also fell off the Pilates wagon early in 2013 so I’d like to get back on track 2014.  No more excuses!
  10. I will be happier in 2014. I hope that all of the above will lead to a happier new year but I have a feeling that 2014 really is going to be a great year!
I wrote the following in my 2012 Write it Down Make it Happen post and I don’t think I could say it any better this year.

I am very lucky that so many wonderful people in the worlds of design, fashion and art read my blog.  So many have found their true passion in life and have their dream jobs which is the theme of my book.  But the person I think about most when I write my blog is that person who doesn't have their dream job, the person who is sitting in a cubicle miserable and reading blogs as an escape.  I never ask my readers to do anything for me but if you are one of these people, please take one step toward your happy life in 2012.  Maybe you could take a class, find a mentor, volunteer, read a self-help book, anything.  Do something that can get you closer to your dream job and dream life.  

Life is short.  The world is big.  Get out there and enjoy it!

XOXO, 

HC

Posted By: Unknown

Write It Down, Make It Happen 2014 Edition

About

Gallery

Labels