Shine On Harvest Moon

The full moon overnight Wednesday into Thursday is the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon closest to the Autumnal Equinox. Folklore called it the Harvest Moon since so many crops would be harvested around this time. That got me thinking about wheat which is a symbol of bountiful harvest and prosperity. Even though everyone in America seems to be gluten free and not actually eating wheat, that doesn't mean you can't decorate with it. 

The French have been displaying dried wheat and gold wheat sheaf tables in their homes for decades. Wheat can be found through out the rooms of Coco Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent among others.  Chanel made wheat "her lucky charm, a symbol of creativity that never ends." 

When I working on my post of French jewelry designer Aurelie Bidermann, I remembered seeing dried wheat on her moodboard. She took a step further and used as a motif in an entire collection, Le B, which is the French word for wheat. I am definitely planning on buying her wheat ring and maybe even a bracelet. Until then, I will make due with the dried stalks of wheat I bought on eBay.  When it comes to fostering creativity and prosperity, I will always let Coco Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent lead my way. 


Shine on, shine on harvest moon
Up in the sky,
I ain't had no lovin'
Since January, February, June or July
Sno Time ain't no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon,
So shine one, shine on harvest noon

For me and my gal.

-  By Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth, 1903


Coco Chanel's Paris apartment with dried wheat and gold wheat sheaf table. 

Wheat in Chanel's apartment. 

Another ols photo of Coco Chanel's apartment on rue Cambon. 

Sheaf of wheat cocktail table from 1stdibs

Singer Lily Allen wearing Chanel wheat motif jewelry in her hair. 

Wheat brooch from Chanel. 

Another gold wheat sheaf table in the home of Yves Saint Laurent. 

Dried wheat was in every room of Yves Saint Laurent's homes. 

Writer Candace Bushnell has gold wheat sheaf scones in her apartment. 

I'm loving these Italian gold wheat sheaf chairs from 1stdibs

Gold wheat sheaf dining table in the Chicago home of designer Lauren Gold from Lonny. I'm putting this on my wish list.  There isn't even one on 1stdibs right now. 

Wheat on the moodboard of French jewelry designer Aurelie Bidermann






 Top Image from Canadian House & Home
Posted By: Unknown

Shine On Harvest Moon

About

Gallery

Labels