LA in a Nutshell

I arrived back in New York in the wee hours Monday morning and awoke to find it snowing.  Makes me wish I had stayed in LA.  While it rained there a few days, Saturday and Sunday turned out to be sunny and beautiful which was a relief.  I'm currently editing all my photos for blog posts but until they are ready, I thought I'd give a quick look at my trip.  

I stayed at the Avalon Beverly Hills Hotel and waited in one of the cabanas by the pool until my room was ready.  If you love design, this is a great place to stay.  Everyone who works there is unbelievably nice too. 

You are what you drive in LA and I saw this beauty on the ride to my hotel from the airport.  If I ever move to Los Angeles, I will definitely have to get a vintage car. 



I went to dinner with Fallon of A Lovely Being my first night and made her go to In-n-Out Burger.  I think she thought I was crazy but it was such a fun treat except that I didn't know about "animal style."  Looks like I'll have to try that on my next trip.

My lovely friend Taryn Cox who has the chic site The Wife was kind enough to take me out to the Brentwood Country Mart in the rain Thursday morning.  I went for the first time with Michal of Style Curator of last year and loved it.  I would go all the time if I lived in LA. I'll also have more picks from Taryn on the blog soon. 

They sell a lot of great products at Farmshop next to the restaurant. 

We had breakfast at Farmshop which is apparently popular with the celebs. 

I really wanted one of their bags but didn't think I'd ever use in in NYC.  It's another thing to buy if I ever move to LA or become bi-coastal. 

Sugar Paper is a very popular stationery store at Brentwood Country Mart. 

Cute cards at Sugar Paper

One of my favorite places in LA is Pressed Juicery.  They are so much better than the places in NYC and make me feel like a local. 

Taryn also took me by Blum & Poe gallery where her friend works.  We saw an exhibition of work by Brooklyn based artist Hugh Scott-Douglas that was really intriguing once you heard the story behind each piece. 

The most exciting thing on my agenda in LA was stopping by the Who What Wear offices.  I signed onto the Who What Wear blogger network Clique Media last year so it was so nice to meet founders Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and everyone involved in person. I'll tell you more about this and show you more photos next week.

I was also able to chat with Mat Sanders about the upcoming launch of the new Who What Wear site Domaine Home. That's his amazing moodboard above. I'll be bringing you this whole story soon too. 

Every time I'm in LA, I love to catch up with Andrea Stanford of One Kings Lane.  The company has just moved into amazing new offices that aren't quite finished yet but I couldn't resist instagramming the chic vignette in her office. 

Another highlight of my trip was getting to spend time with interior designer Nathan Turner.  We're always ships passing in the night so it was such a treat to be able to stop by his store and chat especially since he is one of the nicest people on earth.  I'll be posting all my pics of the store soon. 

After stopping by a photo shoot that I can't give you any details about, I went shopping again with Taryn on La Cienega and Melrose. At Hollywood at Home, I fell in love with this fun map of Los Angeles by the artist Konstantin Kakanias who you might know from Million Dollar Decorators.  I bought the diary/agenda with the same map on it as a souvenir but they also sell candles and other products. You can see everything available at Hollywood at Home Shop

Here's a detail of the map. 

I'm so glad we popped into Jean de Merry.  The store was gorgeous and I loved this table piled with books and the red sea urchin light fixtures above it. 

Equipment just opened their first store on Melrose while I was in town. 

It was nice to see the sun and blue skies on Saturday after two days of rain in LA. 

Most museums are perfect to visit on a rainy day but LACMA is actually best viewed on a sunny day since so much of it is outside.  The Kubrick exhibition alone was worth the visit. It runs through June 30, 2013.

Movie posters from Stanley Kubrick films. 

There was also a Caravaggio exhibit that ends February 10, 2013.

Levitated Mass by Michael Heizer at LACMA. 

Urban Light by Chris Burden at LACMA.  

While at lunch in Beverly Hills, I spotted this chic lady.  I love how people in LA bring out the fur when the temperature dips below 70 degrees.  

When my Sunday meeting was cancelled at the last minute, I decided to just sit by the pool and soak up some sun before my flight home.  It definitely made up for the other rainy days but I still think I need a do over trip soon. In the immortal words of Arnold, I'll be back.

All photos by me. 
Posted By: Unknown

LA in a Nutshell

About

Gallery

Labels